Towers, San Gimignano, Toscana, Italy
The Towers ๑ Le Torre ๑ La Torre Grossa ๑ The Big Tower ๑ San Gimignano ๑ Toscana ๑ Tuscany ๑ Italy ๑ travel ๑ map ๑ info ๑ what to see in ๑ where is ๑ how to go to ๑ opening hours ๑ address ๑ advices ๑ curiosity ๑ recipes ๑ accommodation ๑ photos
The Towers (Le Torre) - Symbol of the Power
About The Towers of San Gimignano
San Gimignano is especially famous for fifteen medieval towers that still stand out on its landscape, which have earned him the nickname of Manhattan of the Middle Ages. From 72 towers and tower houses existing in the heyday of the City, it remained twenty-five in 1580 and today there are at about fourteen towers. The oldest is Rognosa Tower, which is 51 meters high, while the highest is the Torre del Podestà, also known as the Torre Grossa with 54 meters high. A regulation of 1255 forbade private citizens to build the tallest towers of the Torre del Podestà even though the two of the most important families Ardinghelli and Salvucci were not able to build towers higher than The Big Tower and their towers are a little lower.
The Towers in nowadays - Where to find them?
- Campanile della Collegiata - Collegiata Tower is situated in Piazza del Duomo di San Gimignano. Duomo di San Gimignano is know also as Collegiata di Santa Maria Assunta.
- Torri degli Ardinghelli - Ardighelli Tower is situated in Piazza della Cisterna, on the corner of Piazza del Duomo.
- Torre dei Becci - Becci Tower lies behind the ancient Arco dei Becci and dominates both via San Giovanni and Piazza della Cisterna.
- Torre Campatelli - Campatelli Tower is situated at the end of Via San Giovanni, just in front of the Torre dei Cugnanesi.
- Torre Chigi - The Tower Chigi is not so high but surely one of the most beautiful. You can find it in Piazza del Duomo.
- Torre del Diavolo - The Devil's Tower is located on the northern side of Piazza della Cisterna and was part of the adjoining Palace of Cortesi.
- Torre Ficherelli o Ficarelli - Ficherelli o Ficarelli Tower is situated on the main shopping street of San Gimignano, Via San Giovanni.
- Torre Grossa - The Big Tower is the tallest tower of San Gimignano (hence the name) and it is located in Piazza del Duomo next to the new palace of the Podestà.
- Torre di Palazzo Pellari - The Tower of Pellari Palace is located in Piazza Pecori but is also visible from the center of Piazza della Cisterna.
- Casa-Torre Pesciolini - Tower-House Pesciolini - is situated in the main street via San Matteo, nearby Duomo.
La Torre Grossa (The Big Tower)
La Torre Grossa (The Big Tower) is the tallest tower of San Gimignano (hence the name) and it is located in Piazza del Duomo next to the new palace of the Podestà.
It was started to build exactly 21 August 1300, four months after the city had hosted Dante Alighieri, and was finished in 1311. It is 54 meters high and the only one on which it is granted access to the public.
The tower rests on a passage turned and like all other towers of San Gimignano is build in square base. The stone floor was cut in regular drafts well.
On the summit you could enjoy magnificent views over the town and surrounding countryside. There is a belfry, surrounded by a walkway protected by small arches resting on the parapet. Coverage of the cell is pyramidal and it is reminiscent of the nearby tower Rognosa.
The tower is visited by the same ticket of the Museum.
The ticket and timetables are valid for The Big Tower and Museo Civico:
From March to October: every day from 9:30 to 19:00
From November to February: every day from 10:00 to 17:30
24 December: 10.00 - 13.30
25 and 31 December: 10.00 - 17.00
1 January: 12.30 - 17.00
Closed: 1 May, 31 January (the feast of the patron saint)
For the Towers look for information under the Towers here up.
For Palazzo Comunale(Palazzo del Popolo/Torre Grossa):
Piazza del Duomo, San Gimignano, Italy
Tel: 39 0577 940 340
Accommodation, Hotels, Rooms, Bed & Breakfast, Agritourism and More
Are you looking for Accommodations, Hotels, Rooms, Bed & Breakfast, Agritourism, Farm Holidays, Farmhouse, Holiday Homes, Guest House, Villas, Castles, Hostels, Residences, Apartments, Camping, Mountain Hut, Campsites and Alpine Huts, Religious Institutions in Italy?
- If you are looking to organize your trip to Italy and need accommodation take a look at the Links AdChoices by Google on the page here.
For those who would like to become Our Sponsors?
- If you would like to suggest and add your place in Recommended Accommodations in your area, please Contact TravelMapItaly for more information and become our sponsor.
Map of San Gimignano