Ravenna ๑ Emilia Romagna ๑ Italy ๑ travel ๑ map ๑ info ๑ what to see in ๑ how to go to ๑ opening hours ๑ address ๑ advices ๑ curiosity ๑ recipes ๑ accommodation ๑ photos
- City: Ravenna
- Region: Emilia Romagna
- Province: Ravenna
- Zona: North Italy
- Coordinates: 44°25′4″N 12°11′58″E
- Surface: 652,89 km²
- Population: 159 404 (by 31/05/2011)
- Patron Saint: Saint Apollinaris
- Saint Day: 23 July
- Web site: Official Web Site
The Early Christian Monuments of Ravenna contributed to enter the city in UNESCO World Heritage List.
Ravenna was an important center of the Roman Empire in the 5th century and then of Byzantine Italy until the 8th century. It has a unique collection of early Christian mosaics and monuments. All eight buildings – the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, the Neonian Baptistery, the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo, the Arian Baptistery, the Archiepiscopal Chapel, the Mausoleum of Theodoric, the Church of San Vitale and the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe show us the great artistic skill, including a wonderful blend of Graeco-Roman tradition, Christian iconography and oriental and Western styles. In you have already been in the orthodox churches of East Europe you will find much in common.
Ravenna is the largest and historically most important city of Emilia Romagna. The district of Ravenna is the second one in Italy and it is surpassed only by the one of Rome. It includes two large urban parks (Park on June 2 and the Park 1 of May), several villages in the hinterland, the proper city of WWF oasis of Punte Alberete.
The city of Ravenna is located only 8 km from the Adriatic Sea and with the Canale Candiano it is conntected also to the sea. The port of Ravenna is one of the most important in the Adriatic Sea.
What to see in Ravenna?
- Mausoleum of Galla Placidia
- The Neonian Baptistery
- The Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo
- The Arian Baptistery
- The Archiepiscopal Chapel
- The Mausoleum of Theodoric
- The Church of San Vitale
- The Basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe
More Basilicas and Churches in Ravenna
- Basilica Cattedrale Metropolitana della Santa Resurrezione
- Basilica di San Francesco
- Chiesa di San Giovanni Evangelista
- Chiesa dello Spirito Santo
- Basilica di Santa Maria in Porto
- Basilica di Sant'Agata Maggiore
- Basilica di S. Andrea Maggiore
- Chiesa di Santa Eufemia - Domus dei Tappeti di Pietra
See Also in Ravenna
- The Rocca Brancaleone
- The Palace of Theoderic
- The National Museum
- Communal Gallery
Museums In Ravenna
- Museo arcivescovile di Ravenna
- Museo nazionale di Ravenna
- Museo d'arte della città di Ravenna
- Pinacoteca civica comunale di Ravenna
- Museo del Risorgimento di Ravenna
- Museo Dantesco del Comune di Ravenna
- Centro dantesco dei Frati minori conventuali
- Museo degli strumenti musicali meccanici "Marini"
- Tutta l'Avventura del Mosaico
Events in Ravenna
Ravenna in hosting a few annual festivals during the year:
How to go to Ravenna?
- By Air
There is not an international airport in Ravenna. These is only a small airport that is mainly using for Fly Feasts.
So it is recommended to use one of the nearest airports in this area.
For more information visit:
Rimini Airport - International Airport Federico Fellino Rimini
Bologna Borgo Panigale - International Airport Bologna
Federico Fellini Airport - International Airport Federico Fellini Rimini
Forli Airport - International Airport Forli
Venice Airport - International Airport Venice Marco Polo
- By Train
Ravenna is on the Railway line Ferrara - Rimini. La Ravenna Station is located near the Port of Ravenna.
For more information visit the Italian Railway web site.
- By Car
Going to Ravenna by car you will be easy movable to go and visit places not only in Ravenna but also outside.
Get E55 if you come from Venezia, Chioggia, Comacchio on the north and from Cesena and Peruggia on the south.
If you come from Milano, Modena use A1, then in Casalecchino di Reno get A14 (Autostrada Adriatica), then after Imola exit for Ravenna and always on A14 to Ravenna
- Go Around
There are a few parking in the center of the city to use. Then go around walking to discover better the city.
Accommodation, Hotels, Rooms, Bed and Breakfast, Agritourism and More
- Cannot find your place? - It is Easy - Check on the Banner links on TravelMapItaly!
- Wanna be Our Sponsor or Recommend Your Accommodations? - Simply Contact TravelMapItaly.
Map of Ravenna